Saturday, November 26, 2011

Antique c1922 Radio Rex Voice Activated Wood Tin Kennel Toy John Hugo Mfg Co

This is a Voice Activated Antique kennel toy dating back to the 1920s.

The first recorded success with speech recognition technology was in 1922. A little toy dog named "Rex" made technological history by coming to his master’s feet when he heard his name. The pup was held in his doghouse by an electromagnet against the force supplied by a spring. The magnet would release the dog’s iron base when 500cps of acoustic energy was received and Rex would ‘spring’ from his home to the feet of his loving owner. Although the toy was a simple battery-operated mechanism, voice recognition was forever changed. The dog would only respond to the name "Rex", which holds the precise acoustic currents needed to deploy the magnet. 

This item is missing the celluloid dog, but actually has the original battery. Of course this battery doesn't work, but I tought it was rather cool that it is still intact and am including it.  This item is untested, but given it's simplicity, I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
I've included a nice nostalgic photo of a 1922 christmas with a Radio Rex under the tree. To the left of the front tire on boys scooter under tree. 

Tin roof has some slight bends and dings, but paint is still bright. Blue tag which was originally above door is all but gone. Patent dates visible on side of unit.

Overall this item is in very good condition.

I am not an expert on this type of toy and have described it to the best of my ability.

TERMS OF SALE ETC. Payment is expected within 3 days of close of auction.

General Rules About Shipping:

I am more than happy to combine shipping on multiple purchases. I cannot calculate shipping charges without knowing which items will be included.

Please view all shipping options. I usually offer two or three methods in order to try and save you money on shipping costs. 
I do not charge a handling fee, only Insurance based on selling price. Insurance Covers Item Price Not The Cost Of Shipping.
I will not ship packages without Insurance.


I CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ITEMS LEFT ON YOUR DOORSTEP BY THE DELIVERY SERVICE

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ:


I am always happy to answer any questions before you bid.

All bids are final, please ask any questions before end of auction.  Items are described and photographed as accurately as possible and
I will gladly accept returns if the mistake is mine and the item should turn out to be not as described.  Not for any other reason,
such as buyer's remorse, etc. You must contact me immediately after receiving the item if there is a problem.

We are offering this item to you with NO RESERVE and Insurance Included!

My Feedback Speaks For Itself So Bid With Confidence!

No Fee Local pick up is always an option.  Just e-mail and let me know you want to pick this item up and we can arrange a date & time.

Personal checks will only be accepted from buyers with a 100% positive feedback score of at least 25, unless authorized by me in advance. 


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment