Thursday, November 17, 2011

Silver Marshall antique radio

A really cool old radio, circa 1930, from the Silver Marshall Manufacturing Co.  Extensive online research has shown me a somewhat tangled story of this company, which, among other things, was not in existence for very long...at least not with the original owner.  Regardless, a couple of points about this little beauty, and I'll split into the following two headings.  What I do not know:  1) How many components have been replaced/rehabbed, although given the age, I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least some restoration.  2) The model number--while the pictured label remains, with the serial number, the opposite inside wall shows where another label of some kind used to be, and has either worn off or was removed.  Presumably, the missing label had the model name/number, although I can't be sure.   What I do know:  1) The thing actually works!  When I brought it home, I turned it on and was able to tune in a single station, AM of course.  We don't have all that many around here, plus someone previously attached a little wire as an aerial antenna of sorts, so not all that sure of it's ability to pick up signals.  2) The cabinet, while having some minor scratching here and there is in sweet condition, with a rich finish and some nice inlaid work on the front.  3)  This is a heavy little sucker, probably 20-25lbs.  Therefore, the shipping cost may be somewhat substantial, so fair warning!  It measures approximately 14" h x 11 3/4" w x 7 1/2" d.  4) I welcome any and all input, educational or otherwise, so that both I and the potential purchaser may become more informed.  5) I kinda hate to give this up--it's just way-cool!

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment